Monday, January 10, 2011

My Life in a 10 x 20 Box and The Placement Test My Students Wish They Had

I'm back tracking a little here, but I just wanted to share about a few things that happened leading up to my departure.

I'm sure many of you have seen Eat, Pray, Love. There is a scene where she is standing in front of her storage unit and says something like "my life fits in a 10 x 10 box". It really hit me when she said that because I knew mine soon would as well. Actually, it turns out it is a 10 x 20, but that's only because I have to put my car in there as well. The funny part is this: my friends Gavin and Cheryl helped me move all my stuff over. I rented a U-haul and we packed everything in the back. Actually Cheryl organized it and made it fit so we didn't have to take 2 trips. When we arrived at the storage unit both Cheryl and Gavin took one look at the unit (a 10 x 15)and immediately got worried expressions on their faces. I knew it too. It was too small. Ugh. More money. They even humored me by driving Cheryl's car in just to make sure. No luck. Too small. I went into panic mode but Cheryl calmly drove me up to the office and for a mere (cough) $100 more I got a bigger unit. I was really hoping at that point that I had chosen the right amount of clothes for the next two weeks of my life in Denver (and Mexico) and for two months in South America. How do you really plan for that? And my students have to pack for 4 years. One suitcase. Double Ugh. Well there is no going back now. I have a suitcase full of summer clothes. Please Argentina and Chile don't be colder than a pair of jeans and my black sweater.

THE PLACEMENT TEST

I took the test online. It took me about 30 minutes. I had to guess on at least half of it. (I did a lot better than I expected though!) The test placed me in level 3 of 5 levels. I'm just going to say now, there is no way. Hey Spring students pay attention to this: I sent the guy my test results (I know, don't you wish you had that kind of control) but I told him to place me in level 2. I know you think I'm crazy since many of you tried to get into a higher level. I will let you all know what level they actually place me in and whether or not its a good level. I'm afraid even level 2 will be too hard. Hahaha!

This will be my last post for a few days until I'm settled and something noteworthy happens in Buenos Aires. I'm aware that could happen on the first day....nervous laughter.

1 comment:

  1. i understand putting your life into a small space. mine is currently in a garage in tucson.

    ReplyDelete