Monday, January 17, 2011

Maps, Mexicans and School

Wow, wait three days and you can get really far behind!!!!

About a million things have happened. I got a map, a subway card and some cash and it changed my life!!! What a difference when you are not constantly worried about getting lost and not finding your way home in a somewhat intimidating foreign country. I was able to find many very cool places in the city. It was a relief because I was worried it was just a big concrete jungle like where I live. I will tell more about my discoveries later.

I was also brave and approached a stranger who looked like an American tourist who happened to be a Mexican who didnt speak much English. Que Bueno! We spent the day together sight seeing and and getting drenched by rain and eating famous Argentnian beef in the famous Puerto Madera! And the entire day in Spanish! Incredible.

Today was the first day of school. By a stroke of luck I got a private class. There are only 5 students in the school. We spoke 95% Spanish and I could ask whatever I wanted! It was great. I made friends with 3 of the other students and we hung out together today. They are all 23 and all speak English. Not good, but at least I have people to hang out with. The other student is a guy from Germany who has been here 8 weeks. I spoke to him in Spanish, but he spoke back to me in English!! What??? This is a big problem for my students. Its hard to get other people to speak in the language they are learning when there is an easier language available.

Besos

1 comment:

  1. It's so true. I speak a lot less Korean now that I'm not taking my class! Most people here assume I can't speak Korean and try English. I have had some opportunity to practice when the older generations try to interact with me! :P
    sounds exciting and fun but also challenging!! :D

    ReplyDelete