Friday, January 14, 2011

Kisses, Host Family, Security Issues and Dulce de Leche.

My host family is nice. There is a mom, Christina, and a 24 year old daughter, Pamela. There is also a boyfriend for the mom, Oscar, a 32 year old brother, Federico, and a girlfriend for Federico, Flor. Ive met them all and got a kiss on the cheek from them all. I even got a kiss from the maid when I met her. It doesnt matter. If they meet you, they kiss you. I met the brother in the morning, just as I woke up and he was wearing nothing but shorts and he still kissed me. Hahaha, welcome to the family and welcome to Argentina!

There have been a string of bank robberies which they are calling exit robberies. The thief watches as a person goes to the ATM then follows them and robs them. I told my host mom that I needed money (especially after getting lost yesterday and not having any, eek). She said we would all go together, so later in the day, Christina, Pamela, the dog Pipi (yes, peepee, I know) and I went to bank together. The ATM robbed me (almost a 4 dollar charge!) but I made it safely home with my money. For those of you who are curious, the exchange rate is about 4 Argentinian pesos for 1 US dollar.

Have I mentioned Dulce de Leche? Every place has its specialty spread. The US has peanut butter, Europe has Nutella, Australia has vegemite and Argentina has dulce de leche. Mmmmmmm. Its very nice. I guess its sort of a caramel spread, but not really. Its hard to explain. I also had dulce de leche ice cream. Im pretty sure Im going to be eating a lot of it.

1 comment:

  1. um yay kisses? lol well you're part of the family!^^

    lol pipi. that's cute.

    mmmmm dulce de leche~~~sounds wonderful!!

    i wish i could come visit! :)

    ReplyDelete